Friday, November 24, 2006

Pressure Cooker

I finally bought me a pressure cooker. I've been wanting one for years and I found one on sale for only $20 so I went ahead and got it. Reasons for wanting one include, well, I want one just cuz its a cool kitchen gadget and it greatly reduces cooking times on anything you can put in it. Also, due to the reduced cooking times, more nutrients/vitamins in the food are preserved.

Cooking times are even faster than a microwave assuming we arent talking about top ramen. For example a 3lb pot roast would take about 135 minutes in the oven, a minumun of 100 minutes in a microwave (I hope none of you out there actually cook meat in your microwave... ICK!) but only 35 minutes in a pressure cooker. Time is always the key for me. I am not at all good at planning out meals. When I am hungry I eat, if I am not hungry I dont think about food. And if one is buying organic then it makes even more sense. A side benefit is that it uses less energy thean running the oven or microwave for all that time and lower utilities is a great thing.