Sunday, August 29, 2004

Pro-"choice" Demonstrators

Yesterday, coming back from a joyride across the mountains and enjoying ourselves thoroughly, we came across a demonstration by a 'pro-choice' group. About 16 or so women, one young man and a boy (important later) This group was at a major intersection holding signs, hooting and hollering and jumping up and down trying to get peeps to honk and just plain being loud. Now, I am fairly easygoing bout stuff like this. I firmly believe it is your right to believe how you want and to demonstrate. But it was their exuberance at killing babies that got me, so I had to stop.

I made a quick lane change so I could pull in to a parking lot. Got out the car and walked to the closest set of ladies (2) and tried to engage them in a civil conversation. I knew it would do little good, but I had to try. Right off the bat Lady #1 accused me of being a "hypocritical Christian" without my so much as identifying myself as one. This is of course because we Christians all support war and the death penalty but not abortion. That one young man came up holding his sign saying "Where's Your Voice?" and made a comment about how I came up to two ladies when there are guys all around. I guess he thought the guys going into the Western Sizzler were supporters of his cuz those were the only other guys around.

Back to the ladies, Lady #2 said that they weren't just demonstrating for abortion, but for the right to do with their bodies as they choose. "that's great" I say, "So you are against the War on Drugs then, right?" Needless to say I got a blank look from lady #1, and then a stammering reply that they can be against drugs and still be for the right to do as they choose with their bodies. I tried to point out the illogical stance, which they, of course, didnt accept when the young man put his sign "Where's Your Voice" in my face (oddly enuff, with the wording towards me) Realizing there was no more point to being out there I started to leave.

The guy couldn't just let me leave however, so he decided to make a couple comments. "Did your daddy buy you that real nice car?" and then the one that about set me off "Did your daddy get you her too?" (referring to Nikki) I seriously considered going over the railing at him at that point. Naah, he isnt worth it, and I am packing, so I cant just go starting fights. Nikki replied that he should talk to her rather than about her, but big man that he was he decided (wisely) not too. We went on our way and fought in the only way that is going to affect them, in prayer.